Postgraduate Coursework

This page is for currently enrolled students in our Postgraduate Coursework Programs.

To assist you with your enrolments, you may view the courses we offer and the semesters they are offered.

To find out about our postgraduate offerings, go to our professional development page.

Our Postgraduate Coursework Programs

Master of Educational Studies Pre-2015 enrolments

If you first enrolled before 2015 you need to download the Field of Study for Pre-2015 Enrolments Guidelines below to plan your enrolment unless you are enrolled in Career Development  or Guidance & Counselling. 

Career Development and Guidance & Counselling students can continue following this advice about fields of study.

Pre 2015 Enrolment Downloads

Master of Educational Studies Pre-2018 enrolments

Educational Studies: How To Navigate Through to Graduation

 Your program in Educational Studies forms a pathway.

Permission Listed Courses

This information is relevant to students who wish to enrol in the following practicum courses:

As these courses contain a practicum component in schools or organisations that provide child-related services they have been permission listed (locked to enrolment) until Practicum OH&S Risk Assessment and Blue Card status checks can be completed.

To obtain permission to enrol in these courses: 

  1.  Check your Blue Card status -
  •   Unless you are a registered teacher you must have a current Blue Card applied for through or Linked by the School of Education.
  •   Applications must be countersigned by the School of Education administration staff.
  •   Registered teachers apply for an Exemption Card when providing child-related services that fall outside of their professional duties.
  •   If you are unsure visit the Office, call  on +61 7 3365 6550 or email
  1. Complete the Risk Assessment Task – follow these instructions
  2. Request permission to enrol in the practicum course before the semester due date to enrol by emailing to with the course code and your student number in the subject line.
  3. Wait for email of notification of the outcome of your request.
  4. If accepted, log-in to mySI-net and add the course to your enrolment as soon as you receive the email.

There is the option of completing research preparation courses and research project courses, where space allows (students should consult a student advisor prior to enrolling).

If you have any questions, please contact the School of Education at or via phone on 07 3365 6550.

Educational Studies: Fields of Study

The minimum requirement for a Field of Study is 8 units of courses

You must complete any additional requirements of your program before you will be eligible to graduate.  Minimum program requirements are as follows:

  • Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (GCEdSt) = 8 units of study - can include 8 units within a Field or choose a range across the Course List.
  • Master of Educational Studies (MEdSt) depending on entry qualifications = 16 units or 24 units or 32 units.

Titles of declared and successfully completed Field(s) of Study will appear on your degree certificate. Only students in the 24 or 32 units Master of Educational Study will be eligible for a second field of study. If you wish to declare a second field of study, please contact us at for further instructions.

Educational Studies: Field of Study Coordinators


Educational Studies: Supervised Research Projects

Professor Robyn Gillies is Projects Coordinator.

To request permission to enrol in a supervised research project, please complete the Project Application Form.

PLEASE NOTE: Assessment requirements must be clear to the student prior to submission of this form and details below. Both student and supervisor must sign to confirm all recorded dates and procedures are correct and understood.

  • All Master of Educational Studies students who wish to enrol in EDUC7026/EDUC7027, #4 Project A, #6 Project B are responsible for ensuring the Application Form is completed, signed by both student and supervisor; endorsed by the Projects Coordinator and submitted to for permission listing in SI-net two (2) weeks prior to the enrolment due date for the chosen semester.

Supervised research projects are intended to serve one of the following purposes:

  • The production of an article-length piece of research under supervision (such study being characteristic of higher degrees, although they are intended to be less lengthy than a thesis).
  • Follow-up research or critical review on a topic of special interest, possibly developed from the student's previous study, professional activities or research interests.
  • Preliminary work, such as a literature review or development of a research design, on a topic which might form the basis for a subsequent PhD thesis.

Past submissions have included the following types of projects: literature reviews, philosophical essays, field studies, empirical surveys, case studies, needs assessments, action research projects, systematic evaluations (of educational programs, materials or innovations), and the production of curriculum materials.


  1. Projects can be taken over either one or two semesters (see above).  Students should carefully consider the time requirements associated with completing such a project before they enrol.  Different course codes exist for the year-long and semester-long courses.  Students completing a year-long course must enrol in the same course code in two consecutive semesters.
  2. Negotiations for a project normally begin before the end of the semester preceding enrolment. Students are responsible for identifying and consulting with a potential supervisor within the School of Education.  If help is required identifying an appropriate supervisor, students should refer to the Our People and/or Research page from the tabs above.
  3. Once students have identified a supervisor, the Project Application Form should be completed in consultation with that supervisor and lodged with the Senior Administrative Officer (Postgraduate and Higher Degrees).
  4. Assessment Item A - a detailed abstract, annotated bibllography and project timeline should be submitted (where applicable) to the supervisor by the due date specified in the Electronic Course Profile (ECP). Follow the STUDY link at the top of any UQ page and enter the Course Code under which you wish to enrol in the search box. Select the semester of choice to access the ECP.  
  5. Throughout the semester, there is an obligation on the student to arrange regular meetings with the supervisor - usually once per fortnight.
  6. The format of the project will clearly depend upon the nature of the topic.  However in most cases, some form of written submission is expected and normal standards of scholarship apply.
  7. The unit value of a project is a rough guide to work expectations. More information is specified in the Electronic Course Profile.
  8. Assessment Item B - project submission details are outlined in the Electronic Course Profile, including criteria sheets and application for late submission (extension) procedures.
  9. Students should also refer to the Applications for Ethical Clearance information to ascertain if research should receive clearance before being undertaken.

Students undertaking MPhil or PhD theses should consult the UQ Graduate School regarding requirements and the submission process.