Visiting Research Students

Students from overseas institutions who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake training to either enhance their skills in their area of tertiary study, field of expertise or to observe and participate in research can become Visiting Research Students.

Please note, The School of Education will NOT provide any financial support. We have the right to refuse the application if the student cannot prove they are able to financially support themselves adequately during their visit.

Find an adviser

For the duration of your visit, you will need to be supervised by a UQ School of Education academic staff member. To find an academic staff member please search in accordance with the relevant area of interest. Click here

Documents required from Visiting Research Students

1. Completed Occupational trainee/visiting research student form part A (visitors form)

2. Passport - A certified colour copy of the page from the passport showing the photo and details.

3. Curriculum vitae (CV) containing the following:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Telephone number/s including country and area code
  • Email address
  • Date of birth
  • Country of citizenship
  • Qualifications
  • Name of course currently being studied

4. Letter of support from home institution in ENGLISH (on their letterhead) including –

  • Period of which invitation is extended
  • Details of proposed activities in Australia
Visa options

It is your responsibility to ensure you enter Australia with an appropriate visa.  Visit the Department of Home Affairs to find out more about entering Australia or explore your visa options online. Visiting Research Student visas can take up to 6 months or more to finalise so please plan your visit with this in mind. Incoming students must pay their visa costs.

Overseas Student Health Cover – paid by student

All international students studying on a student visa must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).


Explore student accommodation options both on and off campus -  

Cost of living

The estimated costs for the program are dependent on the length of stay, the type of accommodation and the allocation of meal allowance for the student.  For the most accurate costs of living, visit

What we will provide

The School of Education will ONLY provide the use of desk space, use of a computer, access to the University’s library facilities, including online databases and internet access.

What do I need to do on my first day/week?

Meet with your academic adviser and School Manager, who will advise HR that the Visiting Research Student has arrived. Prior to your arrival, HR will send an email outlining the necessary inductions. Complete the OH&S modules and attend a building and OH&S induction. Review the safety procedures and ensure that you are aware of the evacuation points and who to contact in case of an emergency.