We have detected you are using a machine at UQ and you do not currently have an active Internet Session. Any externally hosted content will not appear unless you have an active Internet session. Please create an Internet session by going to https://login.uq.edu.au

My struggle for pedagogy

4 Aug 2015

Professor Jenny Gore - University of Newcastle

In this presentation, I raise important questions about method, power, and commitment in academic work through an account of transitions in my own academic journey.  I explain how I have moved from writing about critical and feminist pedagogy discourses as 'regimes of truth', using Foucault, to conducting a randomised controlled trial (RCT) of the efficacy of Quality Teaching Rounds as an approach to teacher professional development. In tracing this seemingly incommensurable work, I highlight how methodology and ideology have taken second place to an unwavering commitment to wanting to make a difference for teachers and their students through a relentless and consistent 'struggle for pedagogy'. In so doing, I aim to illustrate how postgraduate student researchers (and others) might chart, and understand, their own efforts in and beyond the academy.