All students conducting research as part of their studies in the School of Education are required to seek ethical clearance. Clearance may be approved by the School of Education Ethics Committee only for applications that are considered 'low risk'. Applications that involve children or involve data collection in overseas countries, are considered 'medium-' or 'high-risk' and so must be submitted to the UQ Ethics Committee for consideration.
Information on the process for creating an Ethical Clearance Application can be found at the UQ website:
The link to the HREA Application Form can be found here: http://www.uq.edu.au/research/integrity-compliance/hrea.
If your application can be approved at the School level ('low risk'), please refer below for the process and timelines:
- You create your application using the link above and save the PDF created.
- Forward your application to your Principal Advisor/Project Supervisor via email. Please include your Full Name and Student ID in the subject-line.
- You should include the following declaration in the body of your email:
I have read The University of Queensland Guidelines for Ethical Review of Research Involving Humans (http://www.uq.edu.au/research/integrity-compliance/files/human/uq_guidelines.rtf) and agree to abide by them in the conduct of this research. It is understood that this includes the reporting and monitoring roles associated with the approval by The University of Queensland.
- Your Principal Advisor/Project Supervisor should then forward the emailed application, including the following declaration in the body of their email:
PRINCIPAL ADVISOR/PROJECT SUPERVISOR DECLARATION:
I have read the student’s Application and believe it is an accurate indication of the research/data collection to be undertaken. The application is confirmed to be 'low risk' (does not involve children or data collection in an overseas country) at a standard ready for consideration by the School of Education Ethics Committee.
Senior Administrative Officer (Research Higher Degrees)
Ph: (07) 3365 6502
EXPECTED PROCESSING TIMES (within the School of Education):
To be processed within the suggested times, applications must be considered by the Ethics Committee to be straightforward, well-written and easily reviewed.
(dates yet to be determined for 2017)
- The School of Education Ethics Committee will meet once per month.
- For submissions to be considered at the monthly meeting, there will be an Application Due Date approximately two weeks prior to the meeting. This will allow the allocated Committee member to pre-assess the application.
- All applications submitted by that due date will be discussed by the Committee and a decision made on its status.
- Applicants will be provided with a written Committee Report within two weeks of the monthly meeting. The Committee Report may request amendments to the application, or may be accompanied by an Approval Letter.
Any questions regarding the process can be directed to the email or telephone details above.